October 16, 2013
Catholic Community Services
History of using Web 2.0
The most success for Catholic Community Services (CCS) was by using Facebook, with 1,117 “likes.” The CCS Facebook page began in March of 2009 with minimal “likes,” mainly written posts, no pictures and focused on events happening within the organization. By the year 2011 until present, the site took a turn for the good, with more variety in posts. Success stories, newspaper articles focused on CCS, videos, links and blogs, more pictures and ads for events were all added, creating a boost in followers. The posts had more shares and comments.
The web page for CCS was up and running in April 2001, and started out simple and bland. As the years progressed, more links and better graphic design were added to the site to make it more user friendly and easy-to-navigate. At present, it is well-organized and professional looking. Users can get where they need to go with-in the website.
Strengths and Weaknessess of CCS Web 2.0
- CCS provides useful and interesting information for the public through social media.
- Videos on You Tube are informative to viewers and give a better perspective on social issues.
- The use of Facebook has brought in more traffic, especially with pictures, news articles and mentions of well-known people such as religious diginitaries and politicians.
- CCS uses Web 2.0 to get word out about organization and creates awareness.
- Web page is easy for to people to navigate.
- Use of hashtags on Twitter is done correct way.
- Web page does not provide links to every social media site CCS uses. The only links listed are Facebook and You Tube. On the You Tube page, all links are shown (Twitter, web page, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest). This can make navigation difficult for people.
- Not much growth on Pinterest- not many followers or pins.
- Very few people subscribe to You Tube page and it is not updated frequently (not many videos or views).
- Not much tagging is used, which could be useful for getting the word out about things such as hunger issues or special fundraisers.
Catholic Community Services uses six forms of Web 2.0 including (with starting dates and statistics):
- Facebook (March 2009, likes: 1,117)
- You Tube (May 2010, video views: 4-176)
- Website (April 2001)
- Pinterest (Followers: 31)
- Instagram (October 2012, followers: 31, posts: 33)
- Twitter (February 2011, followers: 74, tweets: 326)
Uses of Web 2.0
- Facebook and Twitter are updated almost every day; they seem to be the form of Web 2.0 that is used most frequently.
- Content on all Web 2.0 sites are mostly related to refugees and hunger issues.
- Events posted on Facebook are about raising awareness and money.
- The web page has links to Facebook and You Tube only. When the You Tube icon on the site is clicked, it is directed to the You Tube page, where other links to Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram are found.
- Tweets on Twitter are related to organization, with posts relating to what is current in the community. Hashtags are used correctly.
Web 2.0: Creating and Updating
Danielle Stamos is the Public Relations and Marketing Manager, and handles all media affairs. Things like videos, pictures, posts, etc. are contributed by other staff in various departments at CCS. There is no specific social media specialist.
How is CCS using Web 2.0?
The purpose of this agency is to create awareness, and education. By using Web 2.0, the staff at CCS can get their message out. They use a variety of different media outlets to satisfy a diverse group of people, appealing to both old and young. Over time, content has gotten better, there are more viewers and more interaction with the community through social media. Each form of media that is used relates to and compliments the other.
What can make CCS better?
- Some posts on Facebook are exactly the same as the Twitter posts. CCS can bring in more readers/viewers by making different posts on each form of Web 2.0.
- You Tube needs to be updated with more videos and advertised more through search engines to get more views.
- Hashtags are needed on Instagram.
- CCS needs to follow more people on Twitter to get more followers – most people who follow, get followed.
- When naming videos on You Tube, CCS should use searchable terms/tags.
- On each site, advertise the other Web 2.0 sites. On Facebook, for example: “follow us on Twitter or Instagram….”